Joy in the journey!

Joy in the journey!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day....


Valentine’s Day....a day of love, hearts, candy, flowers, and fancy dinners. My heart always goes out to those who dread this holiday rather than look forward to it with excitement. In fact I used to be one of those people. I would see January, and know February 14 was on its way. It was like if I didn’t have a special valentine, I would be exempt from having fun on this holiday. As a single Mom for many years, just focused on raising my children, Valentine’s Day was not on the forefront of my mind. I always go back to those memories on days like today, but I see them differently now. I see how God used the worst of trials to show me His heart, His love for me and how He would use those hard times to make me better, and give me the ability to receive all He had ahead.


I remember sitting at the table with my then 8 year old daughter and 6 year old son, years ago gluing decorations on their Valentine’s Day bags for their school party. I was busy trying to figure out if I would be able to take time off from my job to be a homeroom mom for the party I so desperately wanted to attend. My heart was just so torn, and really quite discouraged. I was tired, I was lonely. But I so vividly remember that day like it was yesterday. As I dropped my kids off at school for the day, my little boy handed me something. I was in a hurry and sat it on the car seat knowing I would look at it later.


On the drive to work, I remember praying the day would go quickly. I knew the ladies at work would have a desk full of flowers and candy and cards, and I would get to see them all day, reminding me that I didn’t have a Valentine this year.


I started to get out of the car and looked down on my seat and there it was....the card from my son. I sat there behind the building and opened it up. He had hand made me a valentine. It was a heart that he had cut out himself. It said “Mommy, you have the best Valentine’s ever....Me, Laura, and Jesus. We love you Mommy.” With words mispelled, and the edges frayed because his scissors were too big, it made it even more special. In fact something grabbed my heart that morning. Something changed my life forever. It was the realization that I was loved, so very loved. I had 2 beautiful children and a God who delighted over me and on this day He was dancing over the very thought of me. He was the lover of my soul.....now how does it get any better than that? I had always known God was there, always knew these things to be true....but today, reading this precious little card from my son....it hit home. I mean really hit home.

It was like a lifechanging moment when Jesus just grabbed my heart....and I really knew it was His. I may not have had dozens of roses on my desk that day, but that precious card that my son gave me meant more to me than all the flowers in the world. And it stayed on my desk long after Valentine’s day. It reminded me who really had my heart.


Years have passed since that Valentine’s Day. In fact when I think of how God blessed my life in ways I could never comprehende, I am once again reminded of His great love for me. It’s a love that is quite indescribable. God truly gives us the desires of our hearts. The dreams I held onto for those many years....He fulfilled. All that the enemy tried to take from me, God restored. For those of you who know my story, know this to be true. You watched it unfold.


I guess I am writing this blog today because I want to encourage those who do not think they will ever have their breakthrough....that think they will never have a Valentine....and who experience pain on this day instead of happiness. Let Jesus take your heart, and rest in knowing you are loved beyond measure. If your heart is broken....give Him the pieces. He will make it whole again. I know....because He did it for me.


My sweet husband left for work today, but before he left he did as he always does....he wrapped his arms around me and he prayed. He prayed for me, and he thanked God for me, he prayed for our 4 children, and even our 2 dogs. He covered it all. As he left today I was taken back to that day when Jesus grabbed onto my heart so intimately. Look how much He blessed me! Look how far I had come! Oh the joy and blessing of complete surrender to His love. There is no greater love than His.


Don’t give up. This is your Valentine’s Day today....what He has waiting for you is far greater than flowers or candy. It’s your breakthrough...it’s your dream. Nobody can take care of your heart better than He can! Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment