Joy in the journey!

Joy in the journey!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Day Of Beauty!




As I sat there watching my Mother get her hair washed.....tears were streaming down my face. Not only did she have hair to wash now....she was radiant! I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was Easter and my Mother called me to tell me that her hair had fallen out in clumps. The chemotherapy’s effects had begun. I also remember the day that my Dad shaved my Mother’s head......and I remember him telling her how utterly beautiful she was. We didn’t know the future....we didn’t know if her hair would ever grow back. But my sweet Mother, never uttered a negative word. Only thankfulness that God knew what He was doing. It was only hair afterall. But deep inside I knew it had to be so difficult for my sweet Mom.


For Christmas this year we purchased a gift certificate for my Mom. She would get a full day of beauty from an amazing salon in town. From a facial, to make-up, to a hair cut (she now had hair to cut!)...you name it....she got it. Today was the day we went together for her Day of Beauty. Little did I know it would turn out to be a day forever etched into my memory....and my heart.


I was quite surprised at how this day affected me. Tears were there at every turn. Some held back, some just came out in spite of my every effort hold them back. When she walked out after her wonderful day of pampering....she was glowing. She was radiant! She was beautiful! I will never forget that picture in my mind...ever. The events of the year and her journey through cancer all raced through my mind on fast forward, and there I was....witnessing my miracle Mom in the present. Just beautiful....with beautiful hair!


We then went to lunch and had such a wonderful time together. The one thing my mom has said to me my entire life, and reiterated today was this: No matter how bad the day gets, no matter how dark it looks in life....there will always be something good to grasp onto. It may be very very small, but there will be something. It may even be as small as a smile that touched your heart. Grab that something with everything you have and focus on that good thing. God will take it from there. A miracle can blossom from that very tiny good thing you found. She lives it everyday, and I have seen it work! I am so thankful she has lived it out for me.....it’s a heritage I am so thankful for. I am more thankful for it today than ever.


Mom, being the most unselfish lady I know, kept saying to me....”Oh Lisa, I wish you would not have given me such an elaborate gift! You shouldn’t have!” And what Mom didn’t realize was that what she gave me was the best gift I could have ever received. Watching her joy today, and her beauty just beaming, and being with her....was my gift. The best Christmas gift I have ever received. I will never forget this day. It is my treasure......and so is my Mom.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. She looks SO beautiful! I am so SOOOO glad for all of you. Truly a miracle. Love IT! Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete